From Harry Potter Wiki
(Redirected from 1956)
The following events occurred in the 1950s:
- 1950 to 1952: Andrew Snowyowl captained the Slytherin Quidditch team.
- 1952: The Swiftstick racing broom is released.
- 1952 to 1956: Jo King captained the Slytherin Quidditch team.
- 1952: The first version of Quidditch Through the Ages is published.
- 1953: The seventy-ninth Wizarding Schools Potions Championship is held.
- 1954: Seventh-year Minerva McGonagall has a nasty fall during the Gryffindor versus Slytherin match, which would decide the Quidditch Cup winner, which leaves her with a concussion, several broken ribs, and a lifelong desire to see Slytherin crushed on the Quidditch pitch.
- 1954: Minerva McGonagall graduates from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with top grades on her N.E.W.T.s. During the summer months she becomes briefly engaged to Muggle Dougal McGregor, but later turns him down and departs for London to start working for the Ministry of Magic under Elphinstone Urquart.
- June, 1954: The Muggle magazine My Teeth is established.
- 1955: The Shooting Star broom is introduced.
- 1956: Minerva McGonagall is offered a prestigious promotion at the Ministry of Magic but, dissatisfied with her job, quits and sends a letter to Hogwarts School to apply for a teaching position. She becomes part of the school faculty on December of this year.
- 1956: The Caerphilly Catapults defeat the Karasjok Kites to win the European Cup.
- 1956: Hamish MacFarlan becomes captain of Montrose Magpies.
- 1956 to 1960: Rufus Winickus captained the Slytherin Quidditch team.
- 1956: Armando Dippet's tenure as Headmaster of Hogwarts ends and Albus Dumbledore becomes the new Headmaster.
- 1956: Tom Riddle, now known as Lord Voldemort, travels to Hogwarts Castle to appeal to Albus Dumbledore for the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.
- 1959: Minister for Magic Wilhelmina Tuft dies in office after eating Alihotsy-flavoured fudge (which she was allergic to). She is succeeded by her son, Ignatius Tuft, who gains election based on his mother's popularity.
- 1959: Lyall Lupin and Hope Howell celebrate their wedding.
- c. 1950: Arthur Weasley to Cedrella Black and Septimus Weasley
- c. 1950: Igor Karkaroff
- 1951: Rita Skeeter
- 1951: Bellatrix Black to Cygnus Black III and Druella Rosier.
- Between 1952 and 1954: Andromeda Black to Cygnus Black III and Druella Rosier.
- 1954: Lucius Malfoy to Abraxas Malfoy and his wife.
- 1954: Oliver Wiseman
- 1954: Quirinus Quirrell
- Mid-1950s: Bertha Jorkins
- 1955: Narcissa Black to Cygnus Black III and Druella Rosier.
- 1955: Tarquin McTavish
- 1956 or 1957: Sturgis Podmore
- 1959: Gaspard Shingleton
- 1959: Sirius Black to Orion and Walburga Black.
- 1952: Sirius Black II
- 1953: Justus Pilliwickle
- 1955: Druella Rosier
- 1957: Norvel Twonk
- 1959: Arcturus Black II
- 1959: Regulus Black I
- 1959: Wilhelmina Tuft
Behind the scenes
- 1950 Julie Walters who portrays Molly Weasley is born
- 1952: Carolyn Pickles, who portrays Charity Burbage, is born.
- 1954: Mary GrandPré, the illustrator of the US Harry Potter editions, is born in South Dakota, United States of America.
- 1956: Kathryn Hunter, who portrays Arabella Figg, is born.
- 1956: Struan Rodger, who voices a Wizard in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, is born.
- 1956 Imelda Staunton who portrays Dolores Jane Umbridge is born
- 1957: Bruno Delbonnel, the French cinematographer who worked on the film version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is born.
- 1957 Timothy Spall who portrays Peter Pettigrew is born
- 1957 Dawn French who portrays Fat Lady is born
- 1958 Klaus Fritz, the German translator of the series, is born.
- 1958 Fiona Shaw, who portrays Harry Potter's Aunt Petunia, is born.
- 1958 Adrian Rawlins who portrays James Potter is born
- 1958 Gary Oldman who portrays Harry Potters God-father Sirius Black is born
- 1959 Emma Thompson who portrays Sybill Trelawney is born
- 1959 Mark Williams who portrays Arthur Weasley is boorn
Notes and references
- Harry Potter: The Exhibition Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HPtE" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HPtE" defined multiple times with different content
- Quidditch Through the Ages (real)
- It's in Fantastic Beasts, in one of the footnotes: "Anyone interested in the role played by the Golden Snidget in the development of the game of Quidditch is advised to consult Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp (Whizz Hard Books, 1952)."
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Pottermore biography of Minerva McGonagall (transcription available here)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HPLE" defined multiple times with different content
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Remus Lupin"
- J.K. Rowling Official Site: Birthday Section
- Black family tree
- Internet Movie Database biography page